http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping DamagedArt by DeandraDanay: Gaining Confidence as an Artist

Friday, January 11, 2008

Gaining Confidence as an Artist

If anyone knows how one gains confidence as an artist, I would really appreciate them letting me know. I mean I know I am growing as an artist because I can even see the growth between the painting I did a few months ago and the one I did two weeks ago. I have been doing a lot of reading on great art blogs like Empty Easel or The Pauper and reading tips that people give on how to bring out your creativity or how to face those doubting voices we all hear in our heads. I love art and I have a lot of feelings that I need to express and the prospect of doing it for a living is wonderful. But while I think about how great it would be, the whole concept scares the crap outta me. I am currently waiting for my paintings to dry, or what ever other excuse I can talk myself into, as to why I haven't bitten the bullet and at least listed them for sale in my Etsy Shop. 
I guess the confidence as an artist only comes with time and practice. The more paintings I turn out that I am proud of and amazed that I actually created the more confidence I will get. I think I read somewhere that Nelson Mandella said something like we are more afraid of our power than our failure. Meaning we are more afraid to succeed than to fail and I really think that is true. At least it is true for me anyway, I have passed on opportunities because I am afraid of what changes will come if I actually succeed. When I think about it it is actually ridiculous, to be afraid of succeeding, who ever thought of such a thing?
I have also been watching and reading a lot on the movie, The Secret. The whole "Law of Attraction" thing. Basically saying that life, nature, the  universe, God, whatever you choose to call it, wants us to do well and to grow. Opportunities are constantly given to us to allow us to fulfill out desires but doubt, fear and just about any other negative emotion we have, causes us to pass these opportunities by. I don't want to do that anymore I want to accept all of the good things that life has in store for me and I will need the confidence to know that I deserve all of those good things.

No comments: