http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping DamagedArt by DeandraDanay: Why can't artists sell their work?

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Why can't artists sell their work?


I am doing well with this whole positive thing. Just since I have realized what I really want out of life which is to be an artist, I have created quite a few paintings that I wouldn't have if I hadn't changed my outlook. This painting represents the fall, as if that's not obvious. I am always so depressed by the prospect of the coming winter that I often overlook the beauty of the season. Living in a state where we actually experience all four seasons does have it's advantages. 
I have been painting up a storm since trying this new outlook. Of course selling my artwork is my ultimate goal, but why are artist labeled as "sell-outs" if they try to make a living off of what they are good at? And it only appears to be visual artists that get this unfortunate label, actors , singers and dancers are all artists who's hope is to make a living from their craft yet when they succeed they are not labeled a "sell-out" for doing so. I love painting, it is my passion and what better way for me to spend more time doing what I love than to work at it full time, and how could I accomplish that? Well I would need to get paid for doing it, seems like a simple concept. So why can't artists sell their work? Look at any one who is doing what they are good at, not even just artist, but anyone. Bakers, teachers, carpenters all of these people have talent in the areas of their chosen field, no one would ever expect them to do those things for free. Money makes the world go round. If I were independently wealthy, and I'm talking loads and loads of money so I'd never need another dime, I could totally see painting for free. Giving works away to friends, whoever, but sadly that's not the case. 
 
Why can't artists sell their work? That question could be looked at in another way also. It is the reason why I think I resisted following my heart and tried to forget about ever making a living as an artist. The concept of "starving artist" I am sure has spooked a number of artists from following their dream. Maybe that stereo-type was true at some point but a lot more people make a living from selling art than I previously thought. Not to mention so many of them do it by starting their own website or selling on sites like Ebay and Etsy.  If I had realized that there was a possibility, I may never have started going to college for something I can't ever see myself doing anyway. I might have saved myself a lot of money in student loans.  But I guess everything happens for a reason, maybe I wouldn't have been ready for the idea back then. All I can do now is move forward and believe if I try hard enough I'll get there.

No comments: