http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping DamagedArt by DeandraDanay: The Center

Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Center


This painting is called 4th street, inspired by my view of the bridge on my way to work.

I found this wonderful place called the Center for Emerging Visual Artists, right here in Philly! They have a two year program where there is a career development plan they give you opportunities for group shows with other students and then a showing by yourself. They also have seminars every month on things a new artist needs to know like how to price your work, how to apply for grants and how to talk to galleries. It is great! I talked to one of the people there and I sent her some of my work. 

The program is FREE...that's right...FREE. So it is very competitive. Even if you don't get in the program you can take advantage of a lot of the other things they have to offer. The seminars are twelve-bucks a piece, they also have a library with lots of books on all the topics new artists need to know about. The lady from the center submitted my work into then  registry where artists will show in public places to try and increase the communities awareness of culture and art. You go to parks, hospitals, shelters, nursing homes. I think I could also use that to full-fill the volunteering hours required at my job. I am just thrilled! What a wonderful thing to offer. The lady from the center said that we should meet and discuss where I am now, where I'd like to be, and how to get there. Also she said that we can try to figure out what path I should be on so I can support myself with my art. That is almost too much to hope for.


(Update...I have a meeting with her this month)
I have been reading a lot on the impressionist style and I would try to adhere more strictly to it. Changing my palette cutting out the black, and not paying so much attention to detail. I wanna start limiting my palette an improvising with the colors I am allowed to use. I think it will help me grow. 

There is also a women at work who had been asking me for a few years to paint her something. She asked me again today and I let her know that I am painting again and that I would send her a few of my paintings. She has friends who like art too so who knows where this could lead. I even have a friend who said that if I design them she will make up business cards for me. Maybe this is the start of my life as an artist. It's exciting, and scary! I am so happy that I stumbled on the site for the Center.

No comments: